Tuesday, June 21, 2016

The Plan...

Yesterday's surgical conference resulted in a recommendation of a septal myectomy, as soon as possible. So, Aberdeen is scheduled for her second open heart surgery on the 14th of July, with a pre-op appointment on the 13th to meet with the surgeon (Dr. Heinle), the cardiac anesthesiologist, child-life, and to complete whatever labs the team deems necessary. She will most likely be first case on the 14th (meaning, she'll be the first surgery of the day), and then we'll start the long road to recovery. 

Ultimately, this was our best-case scenario. The fact that they think the myectomy may be successful and that she hopefully won't need a heart transplant yet is a really good thing. On a purely logical level, I know this is what needs to be done to give Abby a chance to continue thriving. On an emotional level, I just want to grab my baby and run far away. I feel sick to my stomach to have to put her through all of this again and wish there was another way. However, we can't really deny that she's symptomatic at this point.  Mornings are still good. Afternoons are not. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get a video on here, but if I could, I would show you just how awful her breathing sounds in the evenings. It really is starting to be reminiscent of her breathing before her first heart surgery, which is very worrisome. Hopefully things stay the way they are until the 14th and don't continue to get worse. We're thankful that we don't have too long to wait. 

Thank you for your continued thoughts and prayers as we deal with a lot of conflicting emotions heading into this surgery. 


  1. Sweet Abby! Oh my loves -- I hurt with you, Bethany and Jameson. That precious little life you have bent your lives around ...

  2. Our prayers will be with you all.

  3. We will definitely keep her and her wonderful parents in our prayers. Thanks for keeping us updated.