Monday, January 5, 2015

Following up from yesterday.

Firstly, I want to say thank you for allowing me a place to be honest in our daily struggles. Yesterday was one of those scream at the sky, punch the walls kind of days, and it needed to happen. I know I spend a lot of time trying to stay stoic enough to get through the day that I don't really acknowledge the ugly emotions that I should be dealing with on a more regular basis. I appreciate all of the messages of support, even as I hit a low point personally.

Secondly, I wanted to clarify that while faith has become a bit of a battle for me in the last few months, I normally do find comfort in scripture. The only time I find it frustrating is in trying to explain away Aberdeen's suffering. When it comes to finding strength in the midst of hard times, or pretty much anything else, please quote away. I didn't mean to run anyone off with my fury, but I did want to express that trying to explain to me how her struggle is somehow fair or warranted just isn't helpful right now. I am working to balance my recent experiences with what I've always known about God, but I believe this will be a long, messy process.

Today has been a much better day. Abby finished another almost 24 hours of EEG without additional seizures. While we're obviously glad that her seizures aren't more frequent, it's a little frustrating that they can never catch what she's doing to better understand her specific seizures and how best to address them. Oh well. She is vomiting less today and has been much less fussy. I've gotten lots of sweet smiles and have enjoyed seeing her awake more than she has been in a couple of days. Lots of tests are being run again to see if any specific problems can be pinpointed, but for today at least, I am just going to enjoy my sweet little princess.



6 comments:

  1. A princess she definitely is!!! (She's even holding up her pinkie to show it...cute) I'm so so so happy Abby is having a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you seem to feel better today. I don't know if I could be as strong as you are on a daily basis going through all of this. I think you guys are amazing. Abby is a very lucky little girl to have you as her parents. I always look forward to seeing her smiles on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pinkie! Sweet little ballerina ... Bethany you said it well--your understanding of who God is and how He works is being rearranged. With your deep love for Abby you are taken into the deep mysteries of life and death, good and evil, fall and redemption. It's murky and dark down there, and unfortunately evangelical theology (is that an oxymoron) doesn't offer much equipment to help one get one's bearings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Echoing Lisa's comments. No one can imagine what Abby & Co. are experiencing. No judgement allowed from anyone! You have so many supporters and are surrounded by love. Love that must be very difficult to perceive right know. Hugs from The Heartland, Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please know that we are all praying for you, and for your entire family. Sweet Aberdeen will also remain in our prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Relish in these moments/days! So glad she's smiling!

    ReplyDelete