Abby started her second year of school this week! She did so well last year, that we decided to opt for the full-day program this year. We aren’t sure whether or not she can handle a full day of class, but we know that we are in the most wonderful, nurturing school right now, and if we’re going to try to push her, this is the place to do it. She is in the best hands and we are so hopeful for another amazing year.
We have also had a couple of medical follow-ups this month. Her ophthalmology follow-up was a couple of weeks ago, and a little inconclusive. Her optic nerve swelling has not gone down, and may actually even be worse, but the ophthalmologist thought the increase in swelling may be consistent with the amount of time between his original diagnosis and the actual date of the shunt revision. Apparently it can take quite a while for swelling to resolve, and he wants to see her again in a couple of months.
Today’s neurosurgery follow-up was equally lacking in concrete information. Basically, they did everything they could for the shunt and now we just have to wait and see if her skull needs to be expanded. They want to do another MRI around the first of the year, and we’ll go from there. I don’t love the watch and wait routine, but we’ll do what we have to do!